History of the Parish Council

Parishes began to be formed from one or more manors circa 700 AD. A priest was employed and a small parish church built either near the manor house as at Hunsdon and Stanstead Abbotts or in the village itself as at Westmill.

After the conquest, church wardens were appointed and their duties gradually increased over time. They included things such as brewing church ales and rat catching.

Later as Parishes became responsible for more secular matters laymen were elected to deal with Parish affairs and they met in the church vestry.

In 1894, the ancient hundreds, which were administrative areas, dating back to Saxon times were replaced by District Councils and Civil Parishes were formed, governed by an elected Parish Council. At the time Standon was in the Braughing Hundred. The newly formed Civil Parishes nearly always coincided with the extent of the ecclesiastical parishes but there have been some changes over the years, for instance High Cross ecclesiastical parish is now divided between Standon and Thundridge Parishes.